usenet/imap
Edwardo Garcia
2014-09-11 11:21:16 UTC
Halo,

Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet into imap folders, we
like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
We only want the text newsgroups?
Dave McGuire
2014-09-11 14:39:59 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet into imap folders, we
like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
We only want the text newsgroups?
I haven't, but I'm intrigued by the concept. Please summarize back
here if you make any progress on this.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
New Kensington, PA
Nick Edwards
2014-09-11 23:21:14 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Halo,
Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet into imap folders, we
like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
We only want the text newsgroups?
Thats crazy!

Depending on your news feed that will get huge over time, and if you
try get a back feed of existing posts, thats even crazier, my upstream
feeds me over FORTY THOUSAND text newsgroups. thats unrealistic to
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
a junk box (ie: even a 10yo 32bit desktop PC with half a gig of ram
will run nicely) starting out you wont need terabytes of disk space,
but heck, a 1TB sata drive is cheap enough so if it fails its no
bother, a 1TB scsi, might be a different story LOL (but of course is
much much more reliable than sata).

There are a few places around who will give you a free feed if you
dont have one, and if you get stuck ask me off list, I get one off
someone who used to be on this list, though he's likely forgotten that
I do as it was a couple years ago he connected us up :-)
Edwardo Garcia
2014-09-12 10:33:25 UTC
Post by Nick Edwards
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Halo,
Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet into imap folders, we
like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
We only want the text newsgroups?
Thats crazy!
Depending on your news feed that will get huge over time, and if you
try get a back feed of existing posts, thats even crazier, my upstream
feeds me over FORTY THOUSAND text newsgroups. thats unrealistic to
How much of these group are active? Or how many post a day on average you get?
Post by Nick Edwards
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
Post by Nick Edwards
a junk box (ie: even a 10yo 32bit desktop PC with half a gig of ram
will run nicely) starting out you wont need terabytes of disk space,
We have plenty them lying around, so maybe this be better if we find
better news server software.
Post by Nick Edwards
but heck, a 1TB sata drive is cheap enough so if it fails its no
bother, a 1TB scsi, might be a different story LOL (but of course is
much much more reliable than sata).
There are a few places around who will give you a free feed if you
dont have one, and if you get stuck ask me off list, I get one off
someone who used to be on this list, though he's likely forgotten that
I do as it was a couple years ago he connected us up :-)
We have a feeder when we ready, they go to feed our imap, so should
feed our own news server, thank you anyway
Dave McGuire
2014-09-12 17:11:05 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Post by Nick Edwards
Depending on your news feed that will get huge over time, and if you
try get a back feed of existing posts, thats even crazier, my upstream
feeds me over FORTY THOUSAND text newsgroups. thats unrealistic to
How much of these group are active? Or how many post a day on average you get?
I realize you weren't asking me, but just to give you another data
point, my server receives about 23,000 articles per day. This is nearly
all groups minus the binaries.
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Post by Nick Edwards
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
With respect, this a load of crap. I was a commercial INN admin for
many years, and I run it on my own network to this day. It's a fine
piece of software, does its job very well, is easy to manage, and
generally gives no guff.

(Of course this is coming from the perspective of someone who ran
C-news, and before that, B-news. B was mostly shell scripts!)

Just try not to look at it as a mail server, because it isn't, and
you'll be fine with INN.

And for the record, Usenet is "not as popular these days" because most
of the current inhabitants of the Internet are drooling morons who think
the Internet and the WWW are the same thing, and that it's all one big
TV. They'd never understand the concepts of Usenet in the first place.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
New Kensington, PA
Nick Edwards
2014-09-13 00:40:07 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
Post by Edwardo Garcia
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
With respect, this a load of crap. I was a commercial INN admin for
many years, and I run it on my own network to this day. It's a fine
piece of software, does its job very well, is easy to manage, and
generally gives no guff.
it does what it does well, yes, but it doesnt do much without writing
a bunch of perl extras, like posting filters to anonymize users by
stripping out header stuff.

Also, inn will not limit user concurrency unless you use an external
auth hook you have to write such as in perl, it can not do it out of
the box, and it has no way of limiting each host to X amount of
transferred data per day.
Post by Dave McGuire
And for the record, Usenet is "not as popular these days" because most
of the current inhabitants of the Internet are drooling morons who think
the Internet and the WWW are the same thing, and that it's all one big
TV. They'd never understand the concepts of Usenet in the first place.
heh, most kids of today would be shocked to learn their precious P2P,
mailing lists, and forums etc grew out from Usenet. only the die
hards use it for binaries these days

strange though, since the downloaders are truly anonymous, buit do
risk higher chance of missed bits, dont have to share whilst
d/loading, and only the senders may leave a trail and at slight risk
of being found out.
Edwardo Garcia
2014-09-14 02:37:50 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Post by Nick Edwards
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
With respect, this a load of crap. I was a commercial INN admin for
many years, and I run it on my own network to this day. It's a fine
piece of software, does its job very well, is easy to manage, and
generally gives no guff.
Sorry, but Nick was right, it is severe pain to get to do what we
would need, I installed dnews, and oh my god, it is so much cleaner
and configurable out the box that it took 10 minutes to configure to
be anonymous for users but still logs so we know who does what, and it
access file is as simple as postfix! unlike inn, wow so much what they
say, chalk and cheese, dnews is a dream, I do like its pull feature
for only group we want, running now since yesterday, some staff use,
we notify select users who want usenet to use, if everybody happy in
one week we ask for license, even if need pay, much cleaner, better,
and no stress set up
Post by Dave McGuire
(Of course this is coming from the perspective of someone who ran
C-news, and before that, B-news. B was mostly shell scripts!)
Just try not to look at it as a mail server, because it isn't, and
you'll be fine with INN.
I think this might be true if you want allow world access and not care
who posts where or how or how many.
Binaries still very popular, maybe for reason nick say
LuKreme
2014-09-14 02:53:26 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Sorry, but Nick was right, it is severe pain to get to do what we
would need, I installed dnews, and oh my god, it is so much cleaner
and configurable out the box that it took 10 minutes to configure to
be anonymous for users but still logs so we know who does what, and it
access file is as simple as postfix! unlike inn, wow so much what they
say, chalk and cheese, dnews is a dream, I do like its pull feature
for only group we want, running now since yesterday, some staff use,
we notify select users who want usenet to use, if everybody happy in
one week we ask for license, even if need pay, much cleaner, better,
and no stress set up
Interesting. Where do you get your newsfeed from?

I?ve often though about setting up USENET (sans binaries, natch) but just assumed that getting a feed was pretty much impossible.
--
'Yes, but humans are more important than animals,' said Brutha. 'This
is a point of view often expressed by humans,' said Om. (Small Gods)
Nick Edwards
Nick Edwards
2014-09-13 00:27:19 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Post by Nick Edwards
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
DNews I've heard since its unsupported now, they are. or have, given
away free keys to some who've asked. We use it, its really powerful,
awesome of system resource niceness, and so easy to configure even a
child could do it (helolo Benny LOL), try download an have a go, yo
can try-before-you-buy with anyway, and I think it still runs forever,
not crippled if you dont get a key, it just puts messages into posts
about it after a while.

DNews even has a mail gateway which would be a sinch to add to imap,
but again, thats crazy, dont do it, unless you only want a handful of
groups.

Oh benefit of DNews is, in "pull mode" it only gets what groups are
read, so you dont need to get the full 40K groups if you dont want
them, if you want a full feed, I suggest setting it up as ihave, and
use suck2 to populate your news server with all articles of all groups
your upstream has, but be careful of bandwith requirements for that,
and I suggest you suspend your ihave until that is completed.

This really off topic now, so if you need to talk more about it,
contact me offlist so we dont upset the crybabies.
Edwardo Garcia
2014-09-14 02:41:46 UTC
Post by Nick Edwards
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Post by Nick Edwards
feed into imap, just advertise your news server, or if you dont have
one, set up inn on a spare machine, hell for a couple thousand users,
We looked at inn, it is, to be blunt, a diabolical mess , the access
file is nightmare, it no limit user concurrency or daily limit by
default without write external code, if inn is typical, is no wonder
usenet is not as popular this days.
DNews I've heard since its unsupported now, they are. or have, given
away free keys to some who've asked. We use it, its really powerful,
awesome of system resource niceness, and so easy to configure even a
child could do it (helolo Benny LOL), try download an have a go, yo
can try-before-you-buy with anyway, and I think it still runs forever,
not crippled if you dont get a key, it just puts messages into posts
about it after a while.
oh wow, as I say to Dave, yes you are right, total worlds apart, very
happy now, will use dnews and forget imap intergration, even though
FAQ say it easy to do, no point now, upstream is happy for us to pull
a feed from rather than direct feed our imap.
Marc Haber
2014-09-12 10:48:32 UTC
Post by Edwardo Garcia
Has anyones had experiences with feeding usenet into imap folders, we
like to have some group for all user, any problem with message limit?
We only want the text newsgroups?
I won't do that. While Usenet and e-mail _do_ look reasonably
similiar, they aren't. In 20 years of usenet, I have not seen a single
gateway between e-mail and Usenet that worked acceptably. Challenges
like the per-user "read" status, unique message-IDs and crosspostings
are excruciatingly hard to solve.

Running INN is much easier.

Greetings
Marc
Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header
Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402
Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600420