unable to see mail when using telnet / open ssl
Dave Myers
2014-09-17 09:55:01 UTC
Dear dovecot list.

I'm setting up my own VPS and working through getting mail to work.

Here is my dovecot -n

$dovecot -n
maildir:%h/%d/%n/mail : layout=fs
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.3
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = 1002
mail_home = /var/mail/virtual/%d/%n
mail_location = maildir:~/mail: layout=fs
mail_uid = 1002
namespace inbox {
inbox = yes
location =
mailbox Drafts {
special_use = \Drafts
}
mailbox Junk {
special_use = \Junk
}
mailbox Sent {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox "Sent Messages" {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox Trash {
special_use = \Trash
}
prefix =
}
passdb {
args = scheme=SHA512-CRYPT username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
unix_listener auth-client {
mode = 0660
user = mail
}
}
service imap-login {
inet_listener imap {
port = 143
}
inet_listener imaps {
port = 993
ssl = yes
}
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
driver = passwd-file
}
userdb {
driver = passwd
}
verbose_ssl = yes

I can successfully log into dovecot using telnet and open ssl from a
remote terminal, so authentication and everything is working fine.

From the above dovecot -n I asume that mails should be going to
/var/mail/virtual/domain/user/mail

However when I view this directory I can see a number of test mails that
I have sent using

echo "Hello me" | mail -s "Dovecot test" $USER

(see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/FindMailLocation)

Why am I not seeing them when I use telnet / openSSL to log in?

All help is greately appreciated.
--
Tel:
+ 33 6 50 14 39 34

email:
david.myers.24j74 at gmail.com

Addres:
22 Rue de L'Eglise 77700 Coupvray.
77700
France
Steffen Kaiser
2014-09-19 07:37:56 UTC
Post by Dave Myers
I'm setting up my own VPS and working through getting mail to work.
would you post the commands you use via telnet and the logs you get.
Post by Dave Myers
Here is my dovecot -n
$dovecot -n
maildir:%h/%d/%n/mail : layout=fs
^^ were does this string come from?
Post by Dave Myers
[...]
From the above dovecot -n I asume that mails should be going to
/var/mail/virtual/domain/user/mail
However when I view this directory I can see a number of test mails that I
have sent using
echo "Hello me" | mail -s "Dovecot test" $USER
(see http://wiki2.dovecot.org/FindMailLocation)
Why am I not seeing them when I use telnet / openSSL to log in?
All help is greately appreciated.
- --
Steffen Kaiser