Does dovecot work OK on *BSD?
Steve Litt
2014-09-25 16:14:40 UTC
Hi all,

I have a dovecot server on my Debian Wheezy desktop computer. My days
with Debian are limited, and I'm investigating several 'BSD's:

OpenBSD
FreeBSD
PCBSD
NetBSD
DragonflyBSD
etc

Is there any reason Dovecot wouldn't work on any of those? Does anyone
know if those OS's have packages for Dovecot, or do I need to compile
it myself?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance
Leander Schäfer
2014-09-25 16:26:31 UTC
Hi Steve,

Go for FreeBSD ;) it offers Dovecot(2) via ports or via package. I
always recommend ports though, due to the fact of being able to
enable/disable options - but that's your choise.

Ports:
cd /usr/ports/mail/dovecot2
make install clean

or via pkg(8):
pkg install dovecot2

I can allway recommend to ask your friend Google: "FreeBSD + Dovecot +
Tutorial" or "FreeBSD + Dovecot + How to".
According to my knowledge, it works quite the same with the other BSDs
in your list. It's been a while since I worked with one of them. I
sticked to FreeBSD

* For updating / maintenance of ports and packages, I recommend
portmaster.
* For System binary related updates there is freebsd-update(8).

Best Regards,
Edgar Fuß
2014-09-25 16:50:42 UTC
I can confirm that Dovecot 1.2 (I started with 0.9 back in the day and just didn't yet upgrade to 2.x) works fine under NetBSD.
Larry Rosenman
2014-09-25 17:01:01 UTC
I run dovecot on FreeBSD and its in ports.. no issues at all and the
maintainer keeps it current.
Will Yardley
2014-09-25 17:28:44 UTC
Post by Larry Rosenman
I run dovecot on FreeBSD and its in ports.. no issues at all and the
maintainer keeps it current.
I don't use it very much (mostly read mail locally, and it's a
single-user system), but I have no problems with Dovecot (2.2.x, built
from ports) on my FreeBSD box.

Michael Grimm
2014-09-25 17:29:19 UTC
Post by Steve Litt
FreeBSD
One more to confirm that Dovecot and Pigeonhole are running at FreeBSD.
Post by Steve Litt
Does anyone know if those OS's have packages for Dovecot, or do I
need to compile it myself?
No need to compile, both come as ports.

But if you might be interested in testing upcoming versions, it's pretty simple to set up a mercurial repository and compile from scratch, both Dovecot and Pigeonhole.

Regards,
Michael
Remko Lodder
2014-09-25 17:34:28 UTC
Post by Steve Litt
Hi all,
I have a dovecot server on my Debian Wheezy desktop computer. My days
OpenBSD
FreeBSD
PCBSD
NetBSD
DragonflyBSD
etc
Is there any reason Dovecot wouldn't work on any of those? Does anyone
know if those OS's have packages for Dovecot, or do I need to compile
it myself?
Thanks,
SteveT
it works just fine for my little company, see my signature on what OS I prefer.
Poke me in case you need help ..

Cheerio
Remko
--
/"\ Best regards, | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ / Remko Lodder | remko at EFnet

dovecot 2.2.13 works very nicely here via pkgsrc on NetBSD.

cheers
mark
Emmanuel Dreyfus
2014-09-26 05:20:46 UTC
Post by Mark Davies
dovecot 2.2.13 works very nicely here via pkgsrc on NetBSD.
Same here, works fine on NetBSD.
--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org
Johan Huldtgren
2014-09-26 03:10:58 UTC
Post by Steve Litt
I have a dovecot server on my Debian Wheezy desktop computer. My days
OpenBSD
FreeBSD
PCBSD
NetBSD
DragonflyBSD
etc
Is there any reason Dovecot wouldn't work on any of those? Does anyone
know if those OS's have packages for Dovecot, or do I need to compile
it myself?
I've successfully run Dovecot on OpenBSD since 2010 and before that for
many years on FreeBSD. Never had any issues, runs just fine on both
those OSs.

.jh